Thursday, April 15, 2010

The little clock in the top right hand corner of my screen is telling me that it's Fri 1:01 AM April 16, that means that it's been almost a week since I left Canada. How do I put down in words everything that I've seen & experienced in the past 6 days?

When you travel, especially to far away exotic places, you hope & pray that all your travel arrangements go smoothly. The last thing that you want to happen is to be stranded in some foreign, unfamiliar country. I had barely even made it to the check-in counter at Toronto's Terminal 1, when the yarn started to unravel... Unbeknown to Donna & I (and apparently our travel agent), when you fly into Delhi and then continue on to Calcutta (Kolkata) you have to transfer from the International Terminal to the Domestic Terminal. In order to walk out the doors of the Delhi International airport you must have a visitors Visa. Without one, they will not even let you fly into Delhi, unless you have a connecting flight from the International terminal.

As we did not have this coveted Visa, we had to forfeit our lovely seats on the flight to Calcutta and instead buy all new tickets for new seats on a flight from Delhi to Dhaka (the capital of Bangladesh.) And of course, just to make things a little more complicated, our flight from Calcutta to Chittagong was suppose to be with another airline, so we were not able to purchase new tickets from Toronto. We had to fly in faith, hoping that when we got to Dhaka (after a tiresome 15 hour layover in the middle of the night in the Delhi airport), that we would be able to either exchange our Calcutta-Chittagong tickets to Dhaka-Chittagong, or at least buy new tickets for the same day. Thankfully everything ended up working out and we made it to Chittagong and only a few hours later than our original plans.

Seeing as I've fallen asleep 3 times while writing the last 3 sentences, I should probably continue this tomorrow. I'll leave you with a few images for now. Hopefully tomorrow I will have more time (& energy) to chronicle more of our adventures...stay tuned :)

No comments: